Thursday, June 4, 2020

The Ames Fan Club is No More

This morning, I wanted to look at abandoned Ames online. Where did I go to? The Ames Fan Club. However I got an unpleasant surprise when I got to the website. It had been suspended. This means that the Ames Fan Club no longer exists.


The Ames Fan Club had dozens upon dozens of pictures showcasing abandoned Ames stores from after the chain's Liquidation. It was truly an encyclopedia of retail history, and I was able to see many locations of the late-chain due to the website. But now, the site, and everything it had to offer, is gone. Because of it's shutdown, many of these photographs have ceased to exist, and many of these locations will now just be a memory. It's borderline depressing to see all of these amazing photographs disappear into oblivion due to the website's inactivity. However, just days before the site's suspension, I saved a few pictures of the Waterford Connecticut Ames on to my computer to use in a future blog post. I feel beyond lucky that I chose to save these pictures, and I also feel like I saved not only a part of Ames history, but also a part of internet history. I will be showing you all of the pictures I saved (4). Credit for all of these photos goes to Ames Fan Club user Chris Fontaine

PICTURES:








The first three pictures were taken on January 29th, 2004, and I'm not sure when the fourth was taken. Once again, I feel extremely lucky that I was able to salvage these pictures just days before the website was suspended, and I highly appreciate myself for saving these pictures. Rest in Peace Ames Fan Club, Your legacy will be remembered by many retail enthusiasts for years to come.

The good news is we can still look at captures of the site on Web Archive, so at least the site is preserved in one way.


Ames Fan Club: 2003-June 2020

-Simpsonfan311

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Internet Archive? There's likely a few captures of the website over the years to be found there. So hopefully not all the content is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried Web Archive and thankfully, there is a lot of content on it. So thanks to the Web Archive, the legacy of AFC will live on. some people on Discord have told me that this shutdown could only be temporary.

    ReplyDelete