Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Abandoned Eastern Mountain Sports in Waterford, Connecticut

Welcome to another edition of Retail on The Thames! Today we're exploring abandoned territory.

After photographing the Crystal Mall last month, I came across a small plaza with some abandoned retail space in it while driving home. I decided to drive back and photograph it and found some pretty cool vacancies.

Construction on this plaza started in 2009. Not much was lost to these buildings except for an old house which sat on the corner of Dayton Place and Route 85, which is where the plaza is today. The plaza contained Jared (which is still open), T-Mobile, and Eastern Mountain Sports, a small chain that sells outdoor gear. Later on T-Mobile would be replaced with a clinic called Miracle Ear. In late 2018, Eastern Mountain Sports closed their location in the plaza and by 2019, both EMS and Miracle Ear sat abandoned.

PICTURES:




Due to the bland exterior and me not knowing about the chain, I had no clue what I was exploring until I looked on Google Maps to find out what the space used to be. Nonetheless, it was still fun to explore the place
There was nothing left in the interior, making this 2 year vacancy look like a 20 year one.

Once again, I geeked out about the locking systems of an abandoned place. Not only was the door code lock still up, but on of the doors was padlocked with a newer Masterlock that I haven't seen before

 Now we're moving on to the other vacant tenant, Miracle Ear. I'm unsure if this is a local place or a chain because I don't care about clinics. At first glance, this looked like it could've been part of EMS, but the separate entrance and black cover show that not to be the case. There's not much to talk about when it comes to the interior due to only the waiting room being visible.
Here's a sign stating that the clinic has moved to the Waterford Commons, which is a thriving plaza with an abandoned Babies "R" Us, and nothing else interesting. I don't blame them for doing this, because this space is tucked back and pretty inconvenient due to the entrance not being on the main road.


That's it for this one. I'll see you all next time!

-Simpsonfan311

No comments:

Post a Comment