Saturday, September 19, 2020

The Norwichtown Dunkin Donuts Suddenly Closes

Hey everybody. Welcome to another addition to Retail on the Thames. Today we're looking at a newly abandoned Dunkin Donuts in Norwichtown.

As I was running errands today, I drove past this location and was shocked to see that there was a brand new closure in the Norwichtown area. I was pretty excited to snap some pictures of this, since this closing is brand new. I got a few really nice pictures as a result and I also get to show you guys a recent retail vacancy.

INFO: Not much is known about when this Dunkin was opened, but it was around since at least late 2007, as seen in this picture taken by The Caldor Rainbow. The plaza it was a part of was built in 1935, and it's known as the James Plaza, due to the only other tenant being a James Laundromat. This location closed within the last month. This is because right after Hurricane Isaias hit the area, this location appeared to be closed, but it still retained branding and fixtures. At the time, this could have been a temporary closure, but this is now a permanent closure. I do have some pictures of this plaza pre-closure, so I'll show those as well.


Before the Closure:


Taken 5-17-20



Taken 5-19-20

After the Closure



All post-closure photos were taken on 9-19-20
It's really odd to see this Dunkin close. I used to go to this one a lot around 9-10 years ago. Even though I never really went to this one in the past couple of years, I still have a lot of memories from going here. When I took photos of this place, the memories associated with this location started flowing in. I remember waiting in a line around 3 customers long to get chocolate munchkins and whatever else was being ordered that day. I remember wanting to get a Gatorade out of the vending machine while waiting in line no matter what time of day it was. I remember the comfort of sitting in Dunkin's cushioned chairs while eating hot hash browns. Going up to this place feels like it's 8:00 A.M on a fall morning in 2011, and I kind of love that. It's kind of crazy how many memories can come from walking up to an abandoned restaurant, and that makes this vacancy even more fascinating to me.
Despite it being small, seeing the sign Dunkin used without their logo was really cool
The interior was completely empty when I approached it.
 Fun Fact, the houses you see in the reflection are getting demolished for a Burger King. I would tell the story behind that, but I'll save that story for when Burger King opens.
Here's a for rent sign, which is obviously new to the space.


That's it for this one! I hope you enjoyed this post, as I really had fun writing this one. I'll see you all next time!

-Simpsonfan311

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it can really be interesting what memories come up when you revisit a certain place. Nicely described.

    ReplyDelete