Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Abandoned Sam's Club in Manchester, Connecticut

Hey! Welcome back to Retail on the Thames! I'm Simpsonfan311, and I'll be your travel guide as we go across Eastern Connecticut in search of interesting retail sights! Today we're going to be looking at an abandoned Sam's Club in the retail mecca of Manchester. Let's get into it!

INFO: Located just outside of The Shoppes at Buckland Hills, this Sam's club was formerly one of three in the state when it was open. However, this location, along with the Orange location closed on January 26th, 2018, As of this post, there's only one Sam's club left in Connecticut. The remaining location is in Newington, which is next to former Toys "R" Us, as well as a Stew Leonard's that was Formerly a Caldor. Despite it's current vacant state, the Manchester Sam's Club will soon have a purpose. Local outlets just released articles saying that the Sam's Club will be used as a warehouse for supply storage. So the future won't be a long, grim, vacant one for this location.

I'm honestly not surprised this location closed. When it comes to wholesale clubs, Walmart's attempts aren't very popular in the state. BJ's dominates in Connecticut with around 13 locations, and Costco has a bit of prominence in the state with 7 warehouses. Sam's Club currently has 1 mere location. I can understand why it's like this. I've always associated BJ's with this area, not Sam's Club. I mainly picture Sam's Club in the Southeast, and I bet many Connecticut residents either think the same thing, or just don't care. Alright, let's look at some pictures!






I'm pretty proud of these far away pictures, but it wasn't without hard work. This vacancy is huge, and I had to run to the back of the parking lot to get some good pictures of the entire property. It paid off though, since I really like these results. These shot give you an idea of how large the property is.


Heading up to the facade of the building, you see a small labelscar of the Sam's Club diamond, and not much else.



Looking at the inside, it's completely empty. There's nothing to see outside of light fixtures and the building's floor and walls. The entrance and exit signs are super cool though.
Here's the other side of the store, which also required quite a walk to get to.
To give you an idea how hard it was to get those first shots, here's a picture of the parking lot to end this post off.

That's it for this one. I'll see you all next time!

-Simpsonfan311

5 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! I don't know that Sam's Club dominates my area, but there are definitely much more of them than there are of Costco. Personally, I prefer Sam's, but Costco loyalists seem like they will always denounce Sam's Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Sam's or Costco, so I can't weigh in on this. BJ's for life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ's just recently came to my area and I kind of have mixed feelings. The employees at my location tend to be rude sometimes, but all in all it's a good store. I think I like Costco better though. And I've never been a big Sam's fan but that's mainly because of my feelings toward Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sup TKE. I gotta say, I've tried some food from Costco, and it's really good.

      Delete